Our story began in 1641 when St. John Eudes founded the Order of Our Lady of Charity in Caen, France, in response to a request to help women and girls in need of support.
Almost 200 years later, after the French Revolution, St. Mary Euphrasia founded a community in Angers in 1829. She also established a community of contemplative sisters, while mission partners played an active role in the establishment and expansion of the mission.
A large number of women joined the community in Angers and many requests were received for new missions in France and beyond. It was evident to St. Mary Euphrasia that a change of structure was needed in how the new convents would be organised. A generalate was established in 1835 and with it a new congregation – The Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd of Angers. The Congregation rapidly spread, not only in France, but throughout the world.
Both the Order of Our Lady of Charity and the Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd evolved with the times, while also remaining faithful to the founding vision of St. John Eudes - to provide support for women and girls in times of need.
In 2006 a process for considering reintegration began. Through a Journey of Enrichment in which history, spirituality and charism were shared, a decision was reached for reunification through merger. The merger decree came into effect and the reunification was celebrated on 27th June 2014.
From the Prologue to the Constitutions, approved 24th June 2015
Sr Joseph Deegan celebrated her 100th birthday at a special Mass of Thanksgiving in Beechlawn Oratory, Dublin…